It’s been a long couple of weeks. There are a few things that beg our attention, not the least of which is the cost of the conventions and how that money could have been used more efficiently and effectively elsewhere. Harper Faulkner brought this picayune detail to my attention yesterday. The conventions cost the taxpayers a mind blowing $18.2 million each, which is NOT the total amount spent, on what has morphed into a week long party. Think of all the good that money could do to help the people in this country, through education and infrastructure.
I am a registered Democrat and I have been for all of my voting life. There are times that I suffer from political amnesia and I believe I am a Libertarian-Independent-Green. For this election cycle I am a Democrat; a proud, loud, progressive Democrat!
I voted for President Obama four years ago because I believed in him because he believed in us. I still believe in him. I’m sure he has an incredible ego. The job requires an incredible ego. Barack Obama is a wise man. He doesn’t make comments worthy of a naked emperor; who could ever forget “The Decider”? He offers humble, mindful confessions. He quoted Lincoln last night when he told us, “I have been driven to my knees many times by the overwhelming conviction that I had no place else to go.” I bet there wasn’t a dry eye in the house.
Obama believes in an America where the People help each other and in a government that is the People. I haven’t heard anything like that from Governor RMoney. Rmoney is pilfered from an unknown source; it is not my original work and, woe is me, I can’t remember where it came from.
I am disturbed by
so much that there isn’t room to list it all here the enormous amounts of $ that go into running for office. It opens the door wide for corruption. I propose the following:
- Candidates running for office may not have more than $10k in cash and $500k in total assets including immediate family, and parents, per household. I’m including immediate family and parental financial assets. I don’t necessarily count the actual humans as assets.
- Candidates running for office who own businesses must include those businesses in their total household assets.
- Candidates must have worked as an employee for an independent employer, who is not related to them by DNA or marriage.
- Candidates running for office must make all their income tax returns available immediately.
- Advertising on cable, network and satellite radio and TV is strictly prohibited.
- Debates will be aired on PBS only, on Sunday afternoons.
We live on the information superhighway; enormous amounts of cash are superfluous to getting elected.